Re: Contact with RMS to remove the veto power

From: Antenore Gatta
Subject: Re: Contact with RMS to remove the veto power
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:22:48 +0100

Ok. Nothing to say anymore. :-)

2007/1/31, Davi Leal <address@hidden>:
Antenore Gatta wrote:
> (almost) Agree.

> When you think to send this? Maybe, at this stage, it's too much early,
> could be better to wait until we will have all the issues fixed... I'd like
> to avoid a reply from RMS like "Yes, but.... blah blah, blah. Before you
> must do this, blah blah blah and blah blah blah".
>
> Just IMHO, nothing to said against RMS, but he will take a great care to
> avoid drawback problems, and it will be a lost of time for us to fix what
> he'll ask and we will obliged to wait again another answer.
>
> A.G.

We have a lot of technical issues to be fixed.  But, about following the "Free
Software philosophy" we have already removed some sections and links as RMS
requested-commented to us.  I personally think we are ready about this point.
The only problem, for us, is the pain of the veto power. It was my mistake.
People do not like it, and so do not join or contribute. It exposes
contradictions with the rest of the project proposal. Now, I agree with MJ.

On the other hand, I have got one candidate at the "French Translator" job
offer and I will like do a job-offer-announcement as I did previously with
the Portuguese one [1], so as to get more candidates and be able to do a good
selection process.

[1] http://www.gildot.org/jobs/07/01/14/1150259.shtml

When people read the job offers, some times they read too the Charter, and I
think it is not good the first impresion they get be the one of the
veto-power.

If RMS would accepted the hosting at his servers I think the project would not
have needed to remove the veto power to success, being so a FSF controlled
thing but which works.

Note: The project should be moved to another hosting: FSF hosts, Debian hosts
or any other 'community hosts' or else pay for someone. The problem with the
current hosting is the limited bandwith/throughput. It could be improved, but
I think it is not serious follow keeping the project hosting at my home;
there is not high availability, etc. Anyway, this point can be delayed.

Just my current personal opinion. I could be mistaken.

Davi