Re: [Association] GNU Herds -- Content Management Systems (CMS)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Association] GNU Herds -- Content Management Systems (CMS)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:34:22 +0000

Problems with the current system:

 - SSL problems (known).
 - seems to have a cookie requirement which isn't documented.
 - cookies seem to go to .www.gnuherds.org which looks odd to me.
 - if you get a browser which is logged in, you can probably get
 someone's password as plaintext.
 - my country (England) and nationality (English) aren't listed.
 - opens new windows far too often: Jakob Nielsen describes this as "like
 a vacuum cleaner sales person who starts a visit by emptying an ash tray
 on the customer's carpet." http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605.html

Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote: [...]
>   * The use of the Affero GPL or GPL v3 is a must to a
>     webapp. We want be able to release the source code
>     without the risk of a fork and lock with the GPL v2.
>     We do not use GPL v2 due to it does not cover use of
>     software over a computer network. GPL v2 has legal
>     holes about it. You know.

GPL v2 does not have 'legal holes about it'.  Please do not FUD it
just because it doesn't do what you want.

Affero GPL gives source to all users, whereas GNU GPL gives source to
all binary recipients.  Affero GPL adds use restrictions, which I
think are a pain because they limit your freedom to adapt the program
to your needs, but it is still not enough to avoid a fork-and-lock
because you don't necessarily get the data.  In short, AGPL is not a
good licence because it doesn't achieve the fork-and-lock that many of
its users seem to think it does.  It's a red herring licence.

We cannot bomb people into cooperation and we shouldn't try, because
it just hurts our friends.  We need to make GNU Herds involvement
worthwhile for people.  Ideally, we should even be able to put this
under something like MIT/Expat and still have people contribute back
because it's the smart people in the association that are valuable.

Hope that explains,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble.