Re: register and change email address -- Security bug

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: register and change email address -- Security bug
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:21:37 +0200 (CEST)

Victor Engmark wrote:
> Davi Leal wrote:
> > It is not clear that users can change its email?. You just modify and
> > save, as in others job sites I use.
>
> Like with the password retrieval system, we have to make sure that this
> can't be used to detect who are users. I propose that we use the same
> solution I've seen elsewhere (I believe Bugzilla implements it). It works
> like this: The user logs in and requests an email address change. The system
> then sends an email to that address, with a validation link, where the
> password has to be supplied in order to save the change. Now we can consider
> the scenarios:
>
>    - If all goes well, the user just clicks the link, supplies the
>    password, and our system changes the address of the user.
>    - If the user has supplied an invalid email, nobody will get the
>    email, and nothing changes. The user will not know whether the email had
>    been registered at the site (privacy), and will not have any problems with
>    password retrieval (safety).
>    - If the user has supplied a valid email she doesn't have access to
>    (whether it belongs to a user or not), the receiver can use the validation
>    link, but doesn't have the password, so nothing is changed. I.e., you
>    can't accidentally "give" your account to someone else.
>    - If the user has supplied an email already belonging to a different
>    user, and she (the submitter) has access to it, she will be notified that
>    the operation cannot be done after the password has been validated on
>    the validation page. This is safe since she has access to the email
> account,
>    and we're therefore dealing with one person / company having multiple
>    accounts. In this case, we could kindly suggest to the user to delete one
> of
>    the accounts, and use the other, referring to the password retrieval page
> in
>    case that's the reason the user created multiple accounts.
>
> I think this would be a very good solution for our users, making sure they
> never lose neither privacy nor their accounts, while maintaining the
> uniqueness of the emails registered.

I think it is not only a change-email problem but also a register-user
one, due to the new-user register process also warn when there is already
that email at the data base.

Victor, maybe you have some similar idea to aply to the register-new-user
case?

Victor, could you add a new savannah task for this?.

Davi