Re: new timestamp data base field for: Lost_Password.php, Person.php, Co

From: Victor Engmark
Subject: Re: new timestamp data base field for: Lost_Password.php, Person.php, Company.php & non-profit_Organization.php
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:37:10 +0200

On 4/19/07, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
Victor Engmark wrote:
> Davi Leal wrote:
> > The field will contain the last time stamp of the lost-password or login
> > forms use, for such entity. What do you think about?
> >
> >             E1_LastTimeStamp  timestamp,
>
> If the table is named something like PasswordRetrieval, yes. It should be
> obvious from the table and column name what it contains.

It is not just for password retrieval, we have to use too for the
register forms, due to they has the same security problem.

True! By the way, I think it should be possible to register both a person and a company under the same email address - It's sure to be interesting for some individuals, e.g., startups. I propose to split E1_Entities into one table per entity type, and create an entity view if necessary.

What I propose is to add the above new field to the  E1_Entities  data
base table, and use it to save any of the below time stamps:

1. The last timestamp related to   Lost_Password.php, and

2. The last timestamp related to   Person.php, Company.php or
    non-profit_Organization.php register forms.

    I propose too this second case (2.) due to the Person.php,
    Company.php & non-profit_Organization.php register forms has too
    the same security problem, due to when a new user try to register
    to the web site, if the email she want to use is already at the
    data base, those forms shows a warning:

      "You can not use it, ... that email is already used
       in the data base ..."

What do you think?

Good idea! Actually, it looks like we'll have to have two steps in the registration process, separated by an email to the address provided with either a validation link or an error message. Still protects the user's privacy, but with a bit more hassle. I guess we should have a FAQ item for people receiving multiple registration emails or error messages. In the case of an error message, the user probably should just be pointed to the password retrieval page.

P.S.: You could take a quick look at the  E1_Entities  table,
  Layer-0__Site_entry_point/doc/GNUHerds__SQL_Implementation.psql

Thanks!

--
Victor Engmark
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - What is said in Latin, sounds profound