Re: GNU Herds: avoid promoting Non-Free Software

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: GNU Herds: avoid promoting Non-Free Software
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:03:28 +0200

Richard M Stallman wrote:
> > As "LPI Certification" is not Software, Hardware, Documentation,
> > Data or Art, we propose to add the new "Non-Free Abstract" tag to
> > avoid showing in qualifications and offer views skills which
> > _promote_ Non-Free Software.
>
> I don't entirely understand what this suggestion means.  Do you
> mean literally you would write "Non-Free Abstract" as one of the
> qualifications of this person?
>
> That does not seem very useful, either for our goals or for him.

No,  of course the GNU Herds project do not write "Non-Free Abstract" as one
of the qualifications of this person.

It is only while the user is editing his Qualifications [1] or Job Offers [2]
when the tag are shown as a way to report him about the freedomness of the
skills he is filling.

  [1] Qualifications.edit.png
  [2] Job_Offer.edit.png

In the public views of such Qualifications [3] or Job Offers [4],  skills
tagged as "Non-Free" or "Pending-to-classify" are not shown to avoid
promoting non-free software; only skills are shown, not their tags.

  [3] Qualifications.view.png
  [4] Job_Offer.view.png

Note as the skills present in the edition sections, and tagged as Non-Free or
Pending, are not shown in the views.

Of course users can only access such pages after identifying himself in the
webapp.

> So here is another idea:  use "GNU/Linux certification" to refer to
> either the LPI certification or the Red Hat certification, or any other
> that may exist in the future.

That is a great idea.

We are going to patch the webapp to record rules automatically in the first
appearance of a skills to rename, when the Skills Administrators rename it by
hand.  Such rules will be automatically applied from the second appearance
on.

Automatic renaming is already done for some cases, e.g.:
 * automatic conversion of undercase, uppercase.
 * automatic conversion of some patterns.
 * suggest convertion from "Linux" to "GNU/Linux" so the user can choose.