Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows: the pain of pyPgSQL

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows: the pain of pyPgSQL
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 17:24:05 +1000

address@hidden wrote:

Trying to run gnumed on the machine at work using python 2.4
pyPgSQL has no windows binaries for 2.4, the binary for 2.3 crashes
out.

Gerhard Haering was providing Win32 binaries for Python 2.4 from his own Web site at haering.de - but that seems to be down. Why not from SourceForge I don't know.

Of course I can compile from scratch, but if we have spend time maintaining our
own python-postgres adaptor (and pyPgSQL tooks pretty abandoned) then I'd prefer to support something better.
Both Billie Allie and Gerhard Haering have been accepting and (eventually) applying patches to pyPgSQL in the SourceForge CVS version up to a few months ago - maybe no more patches have been needed since then. However they have not created a new tarball based on the bug-fixed version in CVS, so we had to create one for ourselves for use in NetEpi. No big deal, but no help for Windows.

Is there a different adaptor we can use on windows?
Or should I have a another bash at my pure-python adaptor (as this is easier to support)
We looked at the other Python-PostgreSQL adaptors about 18 months ago, and none of them had *any* unit tests. Not one. For a critical bit of plumbing like a database adaptor, you really can't have too many tests. PyPgSQL has quite a few, at least.

Tim C