Re: [Gnumed-devel] Episode selection and creation

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Episode selection and creation
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:05:00 +0200

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 09:12:15AM +1000, Ian Haywood wrote:

> Richard Terry wrote:
> > The more and more I play with this type of data entry in my consultations,
> > ,
> > the more I'm coming around to Malcom Irelands view (and I suspect Horsts
> > and
> > David Guest's as well) that we need a large single textbox to collect all
> > the
> > information we type in,
This makes me grin so much - this actually was our very
first SOAP widget. Simply a large text box allowing entry of
whatever. Refining that a bit can easily be done. It can be
loaded as a plugin by whoever wants to use it. I have been
ostracized previously as to why there would be several ways
of entering progress notes. Quite apparently because there
is no One True Way ?

> but it will still leave a "residuum" of text which is untaggable.
hardly, it's just hard to decide sometimes - and then it
doesn't have to be decided - I just put it in any of the
fields, usually Soap

> Can we have a "U" (Unknown) for clin_root_item.soap_cat?
we could make it nullable but come one, isn't it either

 what someone relates to us about the object "patient" based on "subjective"
knowledge

 what someone "finds out" about the object "patient" based on "objective"
knowledge

 what *I* think is the matter with the patient

 what *I* (intend to) do/have done about the situation

???

> Remember it's not either/or: even Karsten (AFAIK) doesn't object to an
> alternative
> notes-entry widget.
I agree. I don't object at all.

> The question becomes, how to link the notes or parts of notes to the various
> episodes.
> There are two ways:
>       - link the *whole* set of notes to one or more problems (currently
> forbidden by the backend schema)
you can link the whole set of notes to a "problem" row
stating several problems but you cannot link them to
*multiple* problems at once

>       - have multiple (presumably tabbed) notes panels, each linked to *one*
> (or no) episode.
> I'm inclined to the latter, because if you have a comment in the notes you
> want to link to
> 3 of the patients 4 problems, what does that really mean? You are better
> linking it to none
> (that's allowed)
I like that particular way of explaining what the purpose of
the backend is.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346