Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Choice of programming language and project manage

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Choice of programming language and project management
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 09:07:57 -0700

On 5-Sep-09, at 1:09 AM, Gour wrote:

Some points:

a) tarball is named GNUmed-server.v11.0.tgz using not so common *.tgz
suffix (tar.gz is more standard one) and why is there v11.0 in the name
instead of more standard GNUmed-server-11.0.tar.gz?

While I am not responsible for the choice, tgz and tar.gz are equivalent, .tgz is shorter. In my view within any one project, it makes sense to stay consistent i.e. one or the other. But I see no reason when a project has already taken one approach to change it. To me it is equivalent to a complaint whether a project is documented in Oxford English or American English. I don;t think this is a sizeable (sizable) issue.

b) name of the package is not consistent with the content, i.e. when one
opens the tarball there is no GNUmed-server.v11.0 folder, but
GNUmed-v11.0 :-(

I know there was prior discussion on this. I cannot speak for everyone but I remain open to consider things (which we do not even *immediately* need to change) if the benefits would be eventually decided to outweigh the downsides. Any solution does need to *not* cause problems. Therefore if for example the use of decimal versions names would (in postgres) cause any problems then we would have an argument for the database version to be incremented in whole numbers.

If the above is not an issue, then options could be further entertained.

I acknowledge we presently have a "v" in the database version (v11) but not in the client version (0.5.0 not v0.5.0) so defacto this is inconsistent. It doubt the "v" is any technical requirement. I imagine for the upstream implementer it makes visualization (brain parsing) easier.

c) man pages have to be manually gzipped and copied, localization pages
are all in one folder...

I started a portfile for mac os. I have yet to learn more about man pages so I cannot comment. I remain open to any refactoring that would both make sense and be helpful or a better way.