[Gnumed-devel] Re: Choice of programming language and project management

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Choice of programming language and project management
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 20:54:07 +0200

>>>>> "Karsten" == Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> writes:

Karsten> I can only guess Gour is wishing for a tarball which, upon
Karsten> unpacking, pushes man pages into

Karsten>        /usr/man/<section>/the-page.<section number>

Karsten> and translation files into

Karsten>        /usr/share/locale/LC_MESSAGES/<lang>/gnumed.po

Sure, but not after unpacking the tarball, but after running
installation procedure.

Karsten> This would be akin to auto-installation upon unpacking a
Karsten> tarball. Spewing random stuff into system directories just by
Karsten> opening an archive. What a horrible idea. This is the same as
Karsten> opening an email in Outlook - which is quite sufficient to
Karsten> initiate re-formatting of all available storage and
Karsten> re-installation of Windows if so desired by the sender.

You really have strange sense of humor. Good that I won't be involved
with the project any longer. :-)

Karsten> No way, the tarballs provided by the GNUmed project will make
Karsten> sure as hell it doesn't interfere with the users system.

Karsten> But maybe Gour meant something else - I'd be happy to evaluate
Karsten> that.

Have you ever worked with autoconf tool, e.g. running ./configure; make;
make install where this procedure puts all the system stuff in
appropriate folders?

Similar to python setup.py install used for installing Python stuff.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour | Hlapičina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6