Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Choice of programming language and project manage

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Choice of programming language and project management
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 00:23:03 +0200

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 09:07:57AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> >b) name of the package is not consistent with the content, i.e.
> >when one
> >opens the tarball there is no GNUmed-server.v11.0 folder, but
> >GNUmed-v11.0 :-(
>
> I know there was prior discussion on this. I cannot speak for
> everyone but I remain open to consider things (which we do not even
> *immediately* need to change) if the benefits would be eventually
> decided to outweigh the downsides. Any solution does need to *not*
> cause problems. Therefore if for example the use of decimal versions
> names would (in postgres) cause any problems

It does. It would require quoting the database name
everywhere in the database which is easily forgotten.

> then we would have an
> argument for the database version to be incremented in whole
> numbers.

That's why we do so.

> >c) man pages have to be manually gzipped and copied, localization
> >pages
> >are all in one folder...
>
> I started a portfile for mac os. I have yet to learn more about man
> pages so I cannot comment. I remain open to any refactoring that
> would both make sense and be helpful or a better way.

I can only guess Gour is wishing for a tarball which, upon
unpacking, pushes man pages into

        /usr/man/<section>/the-page.<section number>

and translation files into

        /usr/share/locale/LC_MESSAGES/<lang>/gnumed.po

This would be akin to auto-installation upon unpacking a
tarball. Spewing random stuff into system directories just
by opening an archive. What a horrible idea. This is the
same as opening an email in Outlook - which is quite
sufficient to initiate re-formatting of all available
storage and re-installation of Windows if so desired by the
sender.

No way, the tarballs provided by the GNUmed project will
make sure as hell it doesn't interfere with the users
system.

But maybe Gour meant something else - I'd be happy to
evaluate that.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346