Re: [Gnumed-devel] again, trouble applying a bootstrap upgrade (from cvs

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] again, trouble applying a bootstrap upgrade (from cvs)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:49:52 -0800

On 2009-12-30, at 1:55 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> OK, that means you are attempting to run the upgrade script
> via a system-wide install. The recommended way to do that is
> to run - as root - "gm-upgrade_server 11 12" which is a
> systemwide GNUmed maintenance command.
>
> Note that a systemwide install can only be of a released
> version, namely v11 at most (unless you built .debs locally
> and "apt-get install my-deb"ed them).

Ok, this means I misunderstood and maybe even broke information on

        http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/ServerUpgrade

It has one section on "local upgrade" and one on "net upgrade". I had assumed
these in both cases to refer to the same, single, system-wide postgres database
"gnumed" and that with the "local upgrade" one simply depends on
already-downloaded files and which could therefore be run without internet
connection:

        sh upgrade-db.sh 10 11

I had assumed the "net upgrade" to achieve the same thing, but using an
internet connection.

After examining net_upgrade-gnumed_server.sh its differences include:
- needing the internet connection
- depending on an official release from http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/server/
and therefore unable to be run against what is in the CVS between releases

"Local upgrade" *can* be applied to an unreleased database version but
1) as previously warned should not be on a live DB because there is no plan of
fixups to non-official (interim) versions of the database such as is the as-yet
unreleased v12 and
2) the user creates or repoints, in gnumed/gnumed/ a Gnumed symlink pointing at
the full specification to /client

Do I now better understand the above to be only (at best) partly correct, and
that it is possible to have a systemwide version of a released Gnumed database
(such as v11) and a non-systemwide (local user only) version of, say, a
pre-release v12?

Also at the point where an official database release becomes available, and
assuming upgrade-db.sh was not run against a non-release script in CVS but
instead from an official server tarball or deb, is there any difference in what
would be achieved from any among

        upgrade-db.sh 11 12
        net_upgrade-gnumed_server.sh
        gm-upgrade_server 11 12

and does it matter whether as root or as sudo?