[Gnumed-devel] How much does GNumed cost ?

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] How much does GNumed cost ?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 14:48:05 +0100

GNUmed is FOSS. It is therefore free as in freedom. It is however not free in
terms of free beer. For the last five years we have decided to operate a
dedicated server that would host stuff such as

GNUmed wiki
GNUmed Live CD
GNUmed movie downloads
CVSmonitor
GNUmed sources

That server costs money. Roughly 5000 Euro have been paid over the 5 year
period to the hosting company to make that possible.

For 2010 we will have to find a way to reduce that cost or come up with
funding.

Hosting content on other resources such as savannah or sourceforge. Scraping
everything that is not possible on a free hosting site. I believe Wiki should
be possible on many hosting offers but CVSmonitor will die along with Live-
CDs.

Maybe we could relocate all scripts for things like nighly tarballs and
nightly documentation as well Live-CD building to a local box and only upload
the results.

Options for funding are selling various goods such as

Live-CDs
GNUmed on USB-drives
Stickers and whatnot

I do not believe in donation buttons because you need a user base for that.
Second we don't ask for money but should build a business on what has been
achieved so far.

Happy new year,

Sebastian