gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] GNUstep & gnuspeech

From: David Hill
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] GNUstep & gnuspeech
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 21:43:06 -0800

Hi Paul, (and Greg Casamento -- see the important stuff relating to the SpeechServer below),

Many thanks for the feedback/comments on your Ubuntu experience. I am currently running Debian 6.0.0 on a 2GHz AMD64, as I noted earlier, which made installing GNUstep very easy.

One can resize the Monet "Synthesis Window" with the command buttons at the top right, or (when not maximized) by grabbing one of the corners and dragging. If the window is maximised, you can also grab the title bar and drag and this has much the same effect as hitting the maximize button to toggle to the non-maximized state.

However, I can see that on a 15 inch screen none of these options may be accessible unless the window happens to display at near minimum size, in which case you can hardly make it much smaller!

In "Synthesizer" there is no resize possibility. When I designed the interface, I found it hard to fit everything in and still have things legible and operational. It just barely fits on a 15 inch screen, I admit. The other tool windows are smaller in both "Monet" and "Synthesizer" Apps.

"Monet" is not really intended as a lap-top text-to-speech facility. It is intended as a serious research tool for use in developing databases for new languages. The basic text-to-speech facility if the so-called SpeechServer that runs as a daemon and is called by other Apps that need text-to-speech service ("BigMouth", for example, and also a "Services Menu" text-to-speech facility that allows any highlighted text to be spoken -- currently only in English). The SpeechServer is up and running on the Mac OS X, but has yet to be ported to the GNUstep trunk.

There is an example-App that uses the SpeechServer on the Mac version called GnuTTSClient.

I think Greg Casamento may be in the process of porting the SpeechServer. If all you want to do is hear various synthesized utterances, or get speech output from your own App, you only need the SpeechServer. Ideally, the control for the SpeechServer should also be ported both onto the Mac and onto GNUstep, otherwise you will not be able to play with the voice quality parameters very easily.  I have put images of the control panel for the ServerTestPlus App (historical name, ServerTest did not show the scrolled hidden methods) on my university web site. As there is a scroll panel within the window, there are two versions so everything is visible:

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~hill/papers/server-test-plus-window-1.jpg
http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~hill/papers/server-test-plus-window-2.jpg

These give an exact statement of the speech controls that are available and which are also accessible in the fully ported SpeechServer. The documentation for the original NeXT version is at:

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~hill/papers/Developer_TextToSpeech_Manual.pdf

which gives detailed instructions on using the SpeechServer within the original NeXTStep development environment which, as you now, is the precursor to both GNUstep and Mac OS X xcode/InterfaceBuilder, so it should be very helpful in any work porting to, and using the Speech server on, those two newer systems.

I would be very grateful for any help you can offer, if only criticism! :-) But one thing you could do is to port the "BigMouth" App, the code for which you will find in the NeXTStep trunk. Also there is the code for the pronouncing dictionary App "PrEditor". You could have a shot at that too, though you wouldn't be able to check either out thoroughly until you could connect to a working SpeechServer. You can use your system as a sandbox to avoid making mistakes which might clutter the repository and send me anything you think I could try. You could also have a shot at the SpeechServer daemon itself. It would be a great learning experience whatever the outcome.

If you have access to a Mac, you could do some things on that with a working SpeechServer, and these would readily port to GNUstep. It is the gap between NeXTStep and the two newer systems that is the big step.

Just some ideas.

Warm regards.

david

David Hill
--------
 The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable. (J.K. Galbraith)
--------