gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] GNUstep & gnuspeech

From: Paul Tyson
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] GNUstep & gnuspeech
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 21:58:02 -0500

On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 21:43 -0800, David Hill wrote:

> One can resize the Monet "Synthesis Window" with the command buttons
> at the top right, or (when not maximized) by grabbing one of the
> corners and dragging. If the window is maximised, you can also grab
> the title bar and drag and this has much the same effect as hitting
> the maximize button to toggle to the non-maximized state.
>

> However, I can see that on a 15 inch screen none of these options may
> be accessible unless the window happens to display at near minimum
> size, in which case you can hardly make it much smaller!
>

> In "Synthesizer" there is no resize possibility. When I designed the
> interface, I found it hard to fit everything in and still have things
> legible and operational. It just barely fits on a 15 inch screen, I
> admit. The other tool windows are smaller in both "Monet" and
> "Synthesizer" Apps.

I found that by resetting the minimum height of the Synthesizer window
to 750, I was able to resize it to fit on my 15-inch screen at 1280x800
resolution.  Please consider making this change in the gnustep source.

> I would be very grateful for any help you can offer, if only
> criticism! :-) But one thing you could do is to port the "BigMouth"
> App, the code for which you will find in the NeXTStep trunk. Also
> there is the code for the pronouncing dictionary App "PrEditor".

When I tried to uncompress and untar
nextstep/TextToSpeechKit/Release2.01/Dev/TextToSpeech.pkg/TextToSpeech.tar.Z,
it said "This does not look like a tar archive".  The "file" command simply
says it is "data".  Does anyone else have this problem?

>  You could have a shot at that too, though you wouldn't be able to
> check either out thoroughly until you could connect to a working
> SpeechServer. You can use your system as a sandbox to avoid making
> mistakes which might clutter the repository and send me anything you
> think I could try. You could also have a shot at the SpeechServer
> daemon itself. It would be a great learning experience whatever the
> outcome.

Does anyone have some tips & tricks for porting these apps to GNUstep?

Regards,
--Paul