gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] GNUstep & gnuspeech

From: David Hill
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] GNUstep & gnuspeech
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 21:20:10 -0700

Hi Paul,

You wrote (see below):
> I found that by resetting the minimum height of the Synthesizer window
> to 750, I was able to resize it to fit on my 15-inch screen at 1280x800
> resolution.  Please consider making this change in the gnustep source.

Good suggestion. Next update we'll do that.

> When I tried to uncompress and untar
> nextstep/TextToSpeechKit/Release2.01/Dev/TextToSpeech.pkg/TextToSpeech.tar.Z,
> it said "This does not look like a tar archive".  The "file" command simply
> says it is "data".  Does anyone else have this problem?

Now that is interesting. I checked it, and also checked the original source
from which the repository was loaded. There's a checksum error on the .tar
file, even on the NeXT (yes, I keep a loaded cube for reference). The
TextToSpeech.tar.Z file is, of course, part of the install package for the
NeXT. I have successfully installed the same package on several NeXT computers
over the years with no problem. It is possible that there is a trick programmed
into the NeXT Install program. If you want to install on a NeXT computer, you
can simply grab the package and "Install" it (there are passwords in the
"private" file in the same trunk -- you'd need a developer password which
occurs in the second half of the file). If you want the sources for the various
Apps, then you don't need to access the 2.01 package at all because the sources
are all there in the SVN repository and you can check them all out.

> Does anyone have some tips & tricks for porting these apps to GNUstep?

Because gnuspeech was originally developed on the NeXT (as Trillium's
"TextToSpeech" kits -- User, Developer and Experimenter versions) prior to the
OpenStep definition, certain things changed by the time we needed to port it
(e.g. the use of ps-wraps, archiving, ...) but Greg Casamento went through a
lot of the original code and modified it to make it easier to compile on
GNUstep. You'd have to check specific code files to see what has been done.
When I ported "Synthesizer", I simply started from scratch, consulting the
original NeXT code in parallel -- you'll see a lot of the original code is
still lying around unused in the current "Synthesizer" source -- and using what
I could where I could. But I recreated most of the Interface Builder stuff,
including things like the tube slider widgets (I was rather pleased with
those). I found Aaron Hillegass's book ("Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X") was a
wonderful help in getting started on xcode/Interface Builder. The "Synthesizer"
source needs cleaning up and finishing.Needless to say, it is on my "ToDo" list
along with a bunch of other things. I don't really want to clean it up too much
until I've added the missing graphs and such.

All good wishes.

david