Re: how essential is ffcall ?

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: how essential is ffcall ?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 13:52:13 -0600

"Robert E. Hartley" wrote:

> > How essential is ffcall stuff?

It's used for Invocations and Distributed Objects, which is not
important for most applications, but it does affect things like Drag and
Drop, communication with other apps (like the workspace), etc. If you
don't have it, the default mframe code may or may not work or may
partially work on your system.

> Is it the same as, or it superceded by the libffi code in GCC v3.0?

libffi is similar, although at the time I wrote the ffcall support,
libffi didn't support closures on anything except ix86 platforms. Now I
think it supports more systems, but I haven't looked at it much. You'd
have to write something similar to the ffcall support that is currently
in base (see GSFFCallInvocation class, for example).

> Is it still needed if we are already using the libobjc from GCC?

yes (if you want invocations to work, that is).