Re: JS engine(s) provided by gnustep

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: JS engine(s) provided by gnustep
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 14:08:00 +0100

Hi,

As far as I know, no one has ported JavaScriptCore to GNUstep. It might not be
a huge amount of work but that last time I looked at it (ten or so years ago)
the build system for JSC conflated a lot of things in the Apple paths that
would need disentangling if you want the Cocoa bits but ELF and the Linux
calling conventions, for example.

If you don’t care about performance, there are a couple of small JavaScript
interpreters (jsQuick and DukTape) that would be fairly easy to bridge to
Objective-C. I played with using DukTape and GNUstep ages ago and it looked as
if it would be quite easy to add an implementation of the APIs that JSC exposes
on macOS, but it would give around 10% of the performance.

David