[Gomp-discuss] Questions, questions

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Subject: [Gomp-discuss] Questions, questions
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 12:51:19 -0500

Hi,

I've been going over the original specs document this morning.

1) The document asks if C and C++ share the same specification -- as far as I can tell, yes they do. Some people have written C++ wrapper classes for OpenMP, but those are outside the standard (and should work with our eventual implementation).

2) Has GNU Fortran 95 reached the point where it is mature-enough for discussion? I'm using it on a regular basis for my AMD64 work. From my conversations in the Fortran community, it would seem that OpenMP support is required if a Fortran 95 compiler is to be taken seriously.

3) Did we ever make a decision on the fudnamental threading model; i.e., how we were going to abstract threads such that different implementations (pthreads, NPTL) can be "plugged in" to OpenMP?

4) The library "boostrap" doesn't work on my latest system due to an autoconf version conflict (gentoo-amd64 installs autoconf-2.58, the boostrap complains that it needs 2.59). I assume I should complain at the gentoo folk? Or should we be more portable to slightly-older versions fo autoconf?

More to come, I'm sure...

--
Scott Robert Ladd