Re: [Gomp-discuss] Questions, questions

From: Biagio Lucini
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Questions, questions
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 19:17:28 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:

> 3) Did we ever make a decision on the fudnamental threading model; i.e.,
> how we were going to abstract threads such that different
> implementations (pthreads, NPTL) can be "plugged in" to OpenMP?

Not as far as I can tell. The possible points of view are
a) target only Linux
b) target all architectures supported by gcc

(a) (= NPTL) would have the obvious advantages of being optimised on
Linux, but the obvious disadvantage of not being fully portable, hence it
would be difficult to gain acceptance into gcc mainline

(b) would probably have worse performance (I am just telling what I hear
around, I don'thave any direct experience), but more portability, and this
choice would probably be more favoured by gcc people.

I think this is a matter that deserve a vote :-)

Cheers
Biagio

Biagio Lucini
Institut Fuer Theoretische Physik