Re: [Gomp-discuss] GOMP Requirements v1.1

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] GOMP Requirements v1.1
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:41:49 -0500

Ross Towle wrote:
Under the Effects section is:
      in some cases, how code is reorganized depends on the threading
model in use

I have a problem with this statement and its implications.

I very strongly believe that the outlined parallel region/work-sharing
region and the OpenMP runtime support routines called from the user
program should be EXACTLY the same no matter what threading model is
used.  If the runtime support routines are modeled after the OpenMP
spec model then  the threading model only affects how the support
routine is implimented.  To me, supporting multiple thread models and
multiple targets is much easier by modifying the guts of the runtime
support routines than the changes to be made in the compiler.

You may be correct.

However, we're going to take a significant performance hit as compared to commercial compilers. Commercial vendors focus on a single threading model and hardware architecture; they can fine-tune their compilers for the vagaries of (for example) Opteron NUMA systems, accounting for memory architectures and processor characteristics.

Perhaps I should reword the sentence to say:

    in some cases, how code is reorganized may depend on the target
    architecture

Does that seem more sensivle?

--
Scott Robert Ladd