Re: [Gomp-discuss] GOMP Requirements v1.1

From: Ross Towle
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] GOMP Requirements v1.1
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:36:26 -0800

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:35:50 -0500, Scott Robert Ladd
<address@hidden> wrote:

> A wild idea: Perhaps we need to consider additional tuning options, such
> as "-fopenmp=generic" for link-time selection of a threading model, and
> "-fopenmp=native" for platform-specific code? Such a concept increases
> complexity in exchange for satisfying more people.

One thing to consider when allowing compile time selection of the
threading model is to ensure that the whole dynamic parallel region is
compiled with the same choice. Remember OpenMP allows orphan
work-sharing directives.  So the compiler does not necissarily have
complete visibility to the parallel region.

Cheers - Ross