gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Getting data from U-Blox 6 receiver (native or NMEA pro

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Getting data from U-Blox 6 receiver (native or NMEA protocol)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 11:26:19 -0400

Askar Ibragimov <address@hidden>:
> I am trying to run gpsd 3.11 to work with U-Blox 6 receiver. I noticed that
> gpsd should work with Ublox native protocol. I run gpsd -N -D 6 so I can
> see what protocols it scans. For some reason, I see a circle across three
> protocols, nmea, garmin and trimble, and obviously nothing happens.
>
> How I can tell gpsd 3.11 that it should attempt using ublox protocol?

You're not expected to have to.  It automatically syncs to uBlox packets.
This is something I test frequently because the GPS I use for experimeing PPS
is uBlox-6-based.

gpsd is designed to autoconfigure itself based on what comes over the
wire. The right question to ask is not "how do I tell it", but why
it's losing packet lock in your environment.  Can you mail us a -D 6
log illustrating the cycling?

> Ublox can be set to NMEA of course (which I do using windows utility), but
> for some reason it can not "capture" properly NMEA protocol. So any help is
> appreciated in getting in touch with receiver.

That is an even weirder report. I'd like to see a log of this "not capturing"
behavior.