gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Right baud rate could not be detected "-n" flag is NOT

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Right baud rate could not be detected "-n" flag is NOT used
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 09:08:16 -0700

Yo Jon!

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 10:37:30 -0400
Jon Schlueter <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I am facing this strange behavior with a Sirf IV based gps module
> > configured in NMEA mode with baudrate 115200.
> >
> > When I run gpsd with -n flag, gpsd is usually able to detect the
> > correct
> > speed (115200), instead when no -n flag is provided, and the client
> > connects, the detected speed is wrong (4800) and gpsd gets stuck.

Baud rate detection is time consuming.  Using the -n spends all the
time autobauding once at the beginning.  Not using -n means every time
a client connects the autobaud sequence must restart.

There are two easy answers.  One, always use -n, there is no
downside to -n.  Two, use stty to set the serial port speed to
115200 before starting gpsd, then autobaud is not needed.

Better yet, do both.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588