gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Issue with Rasbian Jessie

From: Bo Berglund
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Issue with Rasbian Jessie
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 11:49:54 +0100

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 11:23:21 -0700, George Sexton
<address@hidden> wrote:

>Another issue is the auto-baud/search feature in GPSD. It means that
>it's not available, or at least kicking out anything useful for a few
>minutes. I've improved that by adding:
>
>/usr/bin/stty --file=/dev/ttyS5 speed 38400
>
>to bypass auto-baud.

I have tried getting gpsd to work in a Raspberry Pi3 without much
success. It runs Raspbian Jessie, which in turn runs on systemd...

After asking in vain on the Raspberry forum I found this list mirrored
on GMANE so I hope I will get more autoritative suggestions here!

This is what I did after inserting the GPS unit into USB on the Pi3:

First I tested if my GPS BU-353 USB dongle would work:
stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 ispeed 4800
cat </dev/ttyUSB0

The result was streaming NMEA record lines so success so far.

I then installed gpsd using this command:
sudo apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients python-gps

and started it using this:
sudo gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0 -F /var/run/gpsd.sock

All according to instructions found here:
http://blog.retep.org/2012/06/18/getting-gps-to-work-on-a-raspberry-pi/

When I tried to check it using cgps -s there was a screen with no data
anywhere which disappeared after a few seconds with a timeout message.

I always wondered about the baudrate issue and here I see that you
suggest adding:
/usr/bin/stty --file=/dev/ttyS5 speed 38400

But *where* is this added and how should it read given that I have my
GPS on ttyUSB0?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden