gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Issue with Rasbian Jessie

From: Bo Berglund
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Issue with Rasbian Jessie
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2016 10:07:40 +0100

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 08:38:47 +0100, Henrik Bieler
<address@hidden> wrote:

>My /etc/default/gpsd looks like this:
>
>START_DAEMON="true"
>GPSD_OPTIONS="-G -n"
>DEVICES="/dev/ttyAMA0"
>USBAUTO="false"
>GPSD_SOCKET="/var/run/gpsd.sock"
>

>see manpage for what -D and -n do. Maybe you don't need -G
>
>cgps timing out might be because the gps has no fix yet. I use gpspipe
>-r instead.
>
>for further debugging you could add -D 5 option and check whats happening.
>
>sudo journalctl -b -u gpsd.service

Thanks for that!
I added the differences between your and my /etc/default/gpsd file
into mine using ttyUSB0.

After reboot the gpsd is working!

Question #1:
The -G switch supposedly opens listening ports not only on localhost
but also on the other network interfaces.
So I set it too hoping I could connect to the socket from my PC and
see the GPS data stream.

But is there some way to watch the stream using a browser or similar
on the PC (Windows7)?
Right now when I enter URL=http://192.168.0.148:2947/ into Firefox it
just sits and sisplays "Transferring data from 192.168.0.148:2947"
So it actually connects and apparently loads data but nothing shows
up.
Not unexpected but it would be nice to be able to see the data also on
my PC when the port is opened...

Question #2:
Is it possible to make gpsd NOT use IPv6? I see no reason whatsoever
for the RPi3 to even run IPv6 when my network is exclusively IPv4...

Thanks again!

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden