gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] xgps from 3.17~dev

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] xgps from 3.17~dev
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 17:48:39 -0400

hans mayer <address@hidden>:
> i just pulled 3.17~dev via git and compiled.
> so far almost everything is working after the upgrade.
> only "xgps" doesn't work. it terminates with an error:
>
> # Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/bin/xgps", line 898, in <module>
>     base = Base(deg_type=degreefmt)
>   File "/usr/local/bin/xgps", line 544, in __init__
>     ''')
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py", line 293, in
> add_ui_from_string
>     return Gtk.UIManager.add_ui_from_string(self, buffer, length)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/types.py", line 43, in function
>     return info.invoke(*args, **kwargs)
> gi._glib.GError: Error on line 25 char 6: Document ended unexpectedly inside
> the close tag for element 'ui'
>
> [1]+  Exit 1                  xgps
>

> my environment:
>
> Linux gps0 3.4.108+ #4 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 25 00:28:10 CET 2015 armv7l
> GNU/Linux
>
> # python --version
> Python 2.7.3
> in the meantime i take those from 3.16
>
> any ideas how to fix it.

Not reproducing here. I am seeing correct behavior with 2.7.10, gtk3
3.0.0, and python-gi 3.16.2.

This is almost certainly not a kernel or compiler issue, more likely
something to do with your Python, python-gi GTK version.  It looks like your
Gtk installation is unhappy with the attempt to set up the xgps main
menu from an XML description at line 518.

That XML certainly looks correct, but some things near there have been
changed recently that might cause a subtle incompatibility with your
Gtk intallation.

I would try deleting syntactically balanced portions of the XML literal to see
if
you can narrow down the error.  I would also suggest deleting the 'u' prefix
on the literal.  Try running unmodified and modified versions
under both Python 2 and 3.