gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Is GPSD receiving PPS?

From: Jon Brase
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Is GPSD receiving PPS?
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 06:23:47 -0500

On Mon, 07 Mar 2016 02:04:59 -0600, Jon Brase <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, 06 Mar 2016 14:50:54 -0600, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:

Yo Jon!

On Sat, 05 Mar 2016 15:18:47 -0600
"Jon Brase" <address@hidden> wrote:

 Could you be more specific about the nature of these issues

The Wheezy binaries were old version of gpsd. So all improvements/fixes in
newer gpsd were not present in Wheezy.

and say whether they're still an issue in Jessie?

What version gpsd is in Jessie, The look at the gpsd changelog to see what
you are missing.

I'm not too worried about being a few versions behind as long as it's not the direct cause of the PPS issues I'm running into. OTOH, as Jessie is on 3.11, I notice that PPS support was marked experimental until 3.12. So I guess it might be worth trying to compile a more recent version from source.

Have you had a chance to evaluate the debug output I provided? I've repasted it below my signature in this e-mail for your reference. Recall that ppstest is able to get valid data from /dev/pps0, but the output below indicates that gpsd is not managing to open /dev/pps0 successfully. Both ppstest and gpsd are being run as root, so permissions shouldn't be an issue.

Just an update on the issues I've been running into on the Pi: I tried compiling from git tonight, I'm running into the same issues with GPSD accessing pps as with the prepackaged Raspbian binaries. Some of the regression tests failed. I'll try to provide details tomorrow / later today, but I'm up way later than is sane at the moment.

--
Jon Brase