gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Is GPSD receiving PPS?

From: Jon Brase
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Is GPSD receiving PPS?
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 02:12:03 -0500

On Sun, 03 Apr 2016 14:30:40 -0500, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:

Yo Jon!

On Sun, 03 Apr 2016 06:23:47 -0500
"Jon Brase" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Have you had a chance to evaluate the debug output I provided?
> I've repasted it below my signature in this e-mail for your
> reference. Recall that ppstest is able to get valid data
> from /dev/pps0, but the output below indicates that gpsd is not
> managing to open /dev/pps0 successfully. Both ppstest and gpsd are
> being run as root, so permissions shouldn't be an issue.

Just an update on the issues I've been running into on the Pi: I
tried compiling from git tonight, I'm running into the same issues
with GPSD accessing pps as with the prepackaged Raspbian binaries.
Some of the regression tests failed. I'll try to provide details
tomorrow / later today, but I'm up way later than is sane at the
moment.

Also provide the command line that you use to start gpsd.

In this case:

:~# /usr/local/sbin/gpsd -F /var/run/gpsd.sock -nND 5 /dev/ttyAMA0 /dev/pps0

I think the pps error messages I'm getting every second are actually a bit different than last time:

gpsd:INFO: reconnection attempt on device 1
gpsd:PROG: no etc/gpsd/device-hook present, skipped running ACTIVATE hook
gpsd:INFO: opening GPS data source type 2 at '/dev/pps0'
gpsd:PROG: Probing "Garmin USB binary" driver...
gpsd:PROG: Probe not found "Garmin USB binary" driver...
gpsd:PROG: Probing "GeoStar binary" driver...
gpsd:IO: Sent GeoStar packet id 0xc1
gpsd:IO: => GPS: 5053474700c100010000000050924746 FAILED
gpsd:PROG: Probe not found "GeoStar binary" driver...
gpsd:PROG: Probing "Trimble TSIP" driver...
gpsd:PROG: Probe not found "Trimble TSIP" driver...
gpsd:PROG: no probe matched...
gpsd:INFO: gpsd_activate(): activated GPS (fd 6)
gpsd:INFO: GPS on /dev/pps0 returned error -1 (0.000685 sec since data)
gpsd:WARN: device read of /dev/pps0 returned error or packet sniffer failed sync (flags {ERROR})
gpsd:INFO: closing GPS=/dev/pps0 (6)

In the interim, I also switched from systemd back to sysvinit, as systemd seemed to be wedging somehow and eating tons of CPU time.

I'm noticing, though, that I've started getting different behavior from ppstest: Now it seems to indicate good reception of PPS shortly after boot, but after the Pi has been up for a while it will start giving timeouts instead of reporting a PPS pulse every second. (The GPSD tests I've made have been before this starts happening).

As to the failed regression tests, I get the following on completion of the regression tests:

Regression test FAILED: 10 errors in 78 tests total (0 not found).
The following test Failed:
"test/daemon/bu303-climbing.log"
"test/daemon/bu303-moving.log"
"test/daemon/bu303-nofix.log"
"test/daemon/bu303-stillfix.log"
"test/daemon/bu303b-nofix.log"
"test/daemon/italk-binary.log"
"test/daemon/navcom.log"
"test/daemon/uBlox-aek-4t.log"
"test/daemon/uBlox-lea-4t.log"
"test/daemon/uBlox-sirf1.log"
Elapsed time: 287
scons: *** [gps-regress] Error 10

I can provide the listed logs, but at least some of them seem to be binary files, so I can't really paste them into an e-mail, and they're also a bit large to be pasting into the body of an e-mail (several hundred KiB). Do you have any preferred means of delivery, seeing as you've said the list server strips attachments?

Jon Brase