Re: [Groff] multiple EPS images placed on a page

From: Robert Thorsby
Subject: Re: [Groff] multiple EPS images placed on a page
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:57:59 +1100

On 2006.11.08 15:11 Dean Allen Provins wrote:
I need to place multiple EPS files across and down a
large page (A0 or E size).

OpenOffice presentation mode works, but it is easy to
confuse files when placing them, resulting in missed
or duplicate images.  Groff provides a facility to place
only 3 across and several rows down on a standard
page, although it is less likely that files will be missed
or duplicated.

Do any readers have suggestions for placing a large
number of same-sized EPS files on a large sheet in
some (preferably) non-manual way. Ideally, I'd like
to feed a list of EPS filenames to some process, and
have them placed with little intervention.

I do this (using groff primitives, PSPIC and tbl) by first placing each image in a diversion and then placing each diversion into a table that has no rules. This results in something like the results of a Google image search.

The process is automated in a shell script, even to the extent that if the final row of images is less than the number of columns of the invisible table then only the central columns are populated. In essence the shell script is primarily an awk script that runs a loop -- my script spits out an image gallery.

Please see the mailing list archives "PSPIC in Tables and Nested Tables" in mid June 2006 for a problem I encountered when using PSPIC in tables, and Werner's solution.

HTH,
Robert Thorsby