Re: [Groff] multiple EPS images placed on a page

From: Dean Allen Provins
Subject: Re: [Groff] multiple EPS images placed on a page
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:58:30 -0700

Werner:

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 12:55:36PM -0700, Dean Allen Provins wrote:
> Werner:

> > > I do this (using groff primitives, PSPIC and tbl) by first placing
> > > each image in a diversion and then placing each diversion into a
> > > table that has no rules. This results in something like the results
> > > of a Google image search.
> >
> > A perhaps even easier solution is to use the hdtbl macros, which
> > resemble HTML syntax.  This can be found in the CVS version of groff.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  Alas, CVS refuses my connection as follows:
>
>   cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden/sources/groff -z5 co groff
>   cvs [checkout aborted]: connect to \
>   cvs.savannah.gnu.org(199.232.41.69):2401 failed: Connection refused
>
> and the lastest GROFF (1.19.3) needs Texinfo 4.8.  My Debian system
> provides only 4.7.  I seem to be stuck.
>
> The 1.19.3 install notes (actually the README) talks about renaming a file
> '/usr/local/bin/install-info' if upgrading to 4.8.  This isn't quite
> clear to me.  Does it mean install 4.8, then rename the file
> 'install-info' to say 'install-info.hold'?  Failing to do this has what
> effect?

I had to "hack" the 1.19.3 release by commenting out the
'texinof/makeinfo' portions of 2 makefiles.  Then groff compiled
cleanly.  I did this as I didn't want to muck up my working system,
which I depend on for work.  When Debian moves up, I'll move with it.

In the mean time, I got HDTBL working for an A0 page.  Unfortunately, It
insists on forcing a page break at about 11 inches.  I used landscape
format as per:

  groff  -ms -mhdtbl  -P-l -P-p -PA0 test2_hdtbl.ms > \
    /tmp/test2_hdtbl.ps; gv /tmp/test2_hdtbl.ps

and defined the offset, line length and page length (probably
incorrectly) as:

  .po    1c
  .nr PO \n[.o]
  .ll    335c
  .nr LL \n[.l]
  .nr pl 335c
  .TBL cols=9 cpd=0 csp=0 width='8.0c'

All images appear, but across 2 pages, with some extra text saying
something like "arbitrary text for the page footer, except for the last
page   N", where 'N' is is the page number.  This appears near the 11 inch
mark on each page.

Any suggestions for increasing the page length (in landscape mode)?

I should be able to find the annoying footer text and temporarily
disable it myself.

Thanks for your assistance.

Dean

--