Re: enhancement requests ("load-ignoring-cached-go")

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: enhancement requests ("load-ignoring-cached-go")
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 16:04:15 +0200

Hi Wolfgang :)

On Thu 21 Apr 2011 12:21, Wolfgang J Moeller <address@hidden> writes:

> In my browser, searching the Guile Reference Manual
> ( http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual) Indices
> for GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH ... no hits ...

An open bug, yes; hrm.  Adding Mark Harig to the Cc, who had a plan for
fixing this.

> looking up LOAD ...
> incidentally noting that there's PRIMITIVE-LOAD which _allegedly_
> does the same as LOAD, except for the optional argument ...
> wondering ... setting %load-hook as described on that page ...
> finding that it _often_ remains silent (V2.0.0!) ... and now
> wondering if the %load-hook message is telling me precisely
> that a "load from source w/o autocompilation" is taking place -
> in which case, PRIMITIVE-LOAD was apparently
> the "load-ignoring-cached-go" I'm asking for!
>
> Now, I don't care for %load-hook, but you tell me
> what PRIMITIVE-LOAD is _intended_ to do!

Heh.  Well, primitive-load is a load that doesn't autocompile, doesn't
load .go files, and doesn't run within a module excursion.  The
%load-hook business is another bug, reported recently:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/12259, but not yet
resolved.  I'll see about fixing this shortly.

BTW, I see you are still on 2.0.0.  How about beta testing one of these:

  http://hydra.nixos.org/job/gnu/guile-2-0/tarball/latest

2.0.1 will come out shortly, but it would be good if you could report
bugs on the snapshots.

Cheers,

Andy
--