Re: guile-gnome-platform 2.15.91 released

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: guile-gnome-platform 2.15.91 released
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 09:21:41 +1000

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> On the one hand, maintaining backwards compatibility with existing
> libraries shouldn't be too difficult.

Most of the simpler 1.8 new bits can be emulated without too much pain,

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/guile-gtk-1.2/compat.h?root=guile-gtk&revision=1.49&content-type=text%2Fplain

The only major problem with 1.8 I know of is that the threading is still
a little doubtful in places.  Nothing gross, but if you're a heavy duty
threads user you might yet want to be cautious.  The debian packages
have threads disabled I think maybe for that reason.

(There also tends to be a slight overall slowdown, but I never could
tell if that was the new strings style, or macros become function calls,
or maybe the more aggressive shadowing checks of the module system.)