Re: guile-gnome-platform 2.15.91 released

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: guile-gnome-platform 2.15.91 released
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 00:58:12 +0200

Hi Greg,

On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 10:24 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Having gotten g-wrap in pkgsrc up to 1.9.8, I'm trying to build
> guile-gnome 2.15.91.  It fails with a missing symbol from guile.  The
> README says guile 1.6.4 or newer, and I have 1.6.8.  But, it looks like
> the code is using guile features that are only in 1.8.

Indeed as Kevin said it uses a guile 1.8 symbol. I've committed an
untested fix, perhaps try building from bzr; but I am not sure that this
is a viable path. Guile 1.8 has been out for more than a year, and I
don't test against guile 1.6 any more.

On the one hand, maintaining backwards compatibility with existing
libraries shouldn't be too difficult. On the other I am going to add a
dependency to the cairo wrappers, which currently only work against 1.8,
and while I will accept a patch I don't think I'll be doing any coding
to support 1.6 in that wrapper. I'll be adding other wrappers too
(pangocairo, gvfs eventually), and at some point you will have to
switch.

Perhaps you should push Rob on the SLIB front and see if we can all be
working on one version of Guile. That would be best for all of us :-)

Zzz.

Andy.
--
http://wingolog.org/