guix-devel

Re: Agreeing on some "rules" for packaging.

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Agreeing on some "rules" for packaging.
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 23:59:08 +0200

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 12:42:31AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Looks like it already went in.  :-)

Yes, that was a random push, sorry! But the good thing in a vcs is that one
can always modify and go back.

> I would perhaps move “Python Modules” into a “Specific Packages”
> subsection (or something like that), where we might eventually have
> “Perl Packages” as well.  WDYT?

Maybe once we have Perl Packages. I do not want to create too many sublevels.
Or we just create a separate section Perl Packages, depending on whether we
write essentially the same thing or not.

> > +A package has actually two names associated to it:
> s/to it/with it/

Ok.

> s/package manager/commands such as @command{guix package} and @command{guix
> build}/
"package management commands such as ...

> > +Both are usually the same and correspond to the lowercase conversion of the
> > +project name chosen by upstream. For instance, the GNUnet project is
> > packaged
> s/by upstream/upstream/

Ok.

> s/But see @ref{Python Modules}/@xref{Python Modules},/

No, since @xref creates text starting by "See", so is only suitable for the
beginning of a sentence. (But the info rendering is different from the pdf,
with which I am working mainly.)

> s/defined in @ref {Package Naming}/previously defined (@pxref{Package
> Naming})/

This also gives strange output with an additional "see".

> Add linebreaks around @example, possibly with @noindent before the
> lonely lines.

Okay for the line break (which does not change anything in pdf).

> Add linebreak before “Some modules”.

Okay.

> Also, please leave two spaces after an end-of-sentence period.

Okay. I suppose this also means that the period at the end of a sentence
is not allowed to fall at the end of an input line? So
"The weather is nice.
It is raining."

needs to become, for instance:
"The weather is
nice.  It is raining."?

Since there have not been any objections on the content of the guidelines,
maybe you could push Python 3 following this rule, Cyril? I am curious
whether all our packages will survive the switch to Python 3...

Andreas