guix-devel

Re: System installation from a USB stick

From: Adam Pribyl
Subject: Re: System installation from a USB stick
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 14:02:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

Adam Pribyl <address@hidden> skribis:

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

I’ve uploaded a new USB installation image for x86_64 for testing:

 http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/gnu-usb-install-20140718.x86_64.xz
 SHA1: ac944214af34d62b585fa089cd333c1e007be7f2
 (105 MiB)

Use alt-f2 to see the relevant doc.

Feedback welcome!

I did not get too far.

Booted fine, but mounted my HDD install root /dev/sda1 as /real-root
and I can not unmount it or
find /real-root...

The installation image’s root is mounted by label.  So if you happen to
have a different partition with the label ‘gnu-disk-image’, then it may
end up mounting the wrong partition.  That’s what’s happening here,
right?

Well, could be, this is a test machine where I installed the previous USB image. If the name is the same at installes as the USB OS, then it is very probable.

If so, the solution would be to change the label of your own partition
to avoid the name clash.

There seems to be no e2fsprogs or at least e2label... I'll try to change it from different live USB.

Ideally we would mount by UUID but I think that was impractical when I
looked at it.

Well yes, neither UUID is ideal solution.

Ludo’.

Adam Pribyl