guix-devel

Re: New year, new name!

From: Felipe López
Subject: Re: New year, new name!
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 09:40:48 -0500

On 05/01/15 05:43, John Darrington wrote:
> I can't see that "Guixotic" is ever going to be a "catchy" name.  It
> is too diffucult to pronounce.

I don't like the name either. Personally, I would have tried to find a
name in a neutral language like Ido.

I just tested the name "Guixotic" with three Spanish speakers. One
pronounced it /gwɪkso'tɪk/ and the others /gɪkso'tɪk/ (these people
don't know English, by the way).

> How about something like "Gnuix" ?  This would keep the GNU and th Guix
> connection, is shorter and much easier to say.

I tested this one with the same people. All made a long pause and said,
"Hmm", and then pronounced it pretty much the same /nw'ɪks/. All of them
paused because they didn't know how to pronounce the G.

I still think that calling the Guix distro "GNU" would have been better,
and I don't see how calling it "Guixotic - the reference distribution of
GNU" is any different from calling it "GNU", since saying "the reference
distro" implies the same issues RMS and others saw in calling the distro
"GNU".

Anyways... If "Guixotic" is written in stone, I may give it a try to the
logo.

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

ID Klefo PGP  : 0x8A296B99
Marko fingrala: 7ED8 4963 C881 647C 9DA0 FDE6 881B 91ED 8A29 6B99