guix-devel

Lack of locales in build environment

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Lack of locales in build environment
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 18:13:58 +0100

Federico Beffa <address@hidden> skribis:

> Guile-ncurses was fixed by adding a new phase to generate the
> "en_US.UTF-8" locale during the generation of the package, but wouldn't
> it be better to keep the "en_US.UTF-8" locale? That appears to be the
> default used by most packages.

That’s an open question.  The vast majority of packages is happy with
just the C locale, and some need something more.

So far the approach has been to fix these one by one (that’s 4 packages
so far) but if it happens to be frequent enough or cumbersome, we can
change that in the next core-updates to have en_US.UTF-8 available by
default.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.