guix-devel

Re: Website implementation

From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo
Subject: Re: Website implementation
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 17:43:41 -0500

On 2015-03-07 17:01, David Thompson wrote:
Luis Felipe López Acevedo <address@hidden> writes:

Regarding the Guilish tool(s) to generate the site statically, I have
these to compare

     - Artanis <http://www.gnu.org/s/artanis/> (GNU Project)

Artanis is intended for dynamic web applications, so I don't think it
would be particularly useful in this instance.

I thought that its template mechanism could be used independently as I use Django's to generate my blog statically...

[...]

     - tylan's html simple <https://gitorious.org/taylan-guile/html/>

I also have an SXML -> HTML converter in guix-web. [0]

I still need to get familiar with the fundamentals of Scheme/Guile to
decide what tool to use. Personally, I'd like to find a way to write
HTML templates and let a program build the final site. Template context
and inheritance would be nice to have. Maybe this can be done with
Artanis' template system?

Lisps have built-in templating via quasiqoute, so you can do any
transformations you'd like on the resulting s-expression.  SXML is a
popular way of writing XML/HTML templates in Lisp.  See guix-web for
examples. [1]

Does this help or have I just muddied the waters even more?

The Guile world is a completely new world for me, but I'll check guix-web to see how templating works.

thanks.

[0] https://gitorious.org/guix-web/guix-web/source/guix/web/sxml.scm
[1] https://gitorious.org/guix-web/guix-web/source/guix/web/view/html.scm#L74

--