guix-devel

emacs packages

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: emacs packages
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 12:20:56 +0200

Hi,

I would like to know what people think about having an
'emacs-build-system' to build packages imported from an ELPA
repository.  Note that the package archives provided by such a
repository are slightly different from the '.tar.gz' files that you
download from the "real" project home.  One difference is that the
former include final ".info" and "dir" files. It is likely that there
are more differences that I didn't notice due to my limited knowledge
about Emacs packages.

To be concrete about what I'm proposing, attached you find:

- An ELPA package importer
- An 'emacs-build-system'

There are a lot of Emacs packages. For this reason I would like to
propose to prefix them with 'emacs-' as we do with Python, ...

I'm not sure if there is a way to run some tests.  So, currently there
isn't a check phase.

To make those packages automatically available in Emacs without the
need for any code in the user '.emacs' file, I would suggest to
include in our Emacs package site initialization file some custom code
(to activate our ELPA emacs packages) such as the one in the attached
'guix-elpa.el' file.

If the feedback is positive, I will write documentation and some
tests; and send proper patches.

Regards,
Fede