guix-devel

Re: Debugging Guix packages?

From: Jookia
Subject: Re: Debugging Guix packages?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 09:10:10 +1100

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 09:58:38PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Jookia <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > This could be good enough for now but again this doesn't work with this like
> > builds that don't fail. My concrete example is wanting to patch software
> > but not
> > knowing how to get to the pre-patch state so I can then work from that in
> > testing which patches apply and which don't, or make my own.
>
> To get the unpatched source, you can always comment out the ‘patches’
> field, and then run, say:
>
>   tar xf $(guix build -S my-package)
>
> Or do I misunderstand?

One difficulty with the approach of modifying the package is that in a lot of
cases Guix is read-only in a store. So I guess the right way to do this
patching is to modify packages and have Guix use that, though this solution
applies to everything. Maybe a debugger isn't needed? I find it hard to justify
outside 'it makes it easier to try new things quickly'.

> Ludo’.

Cheers,
Jookia.