guix-devel

Re: Debugging Guix packages?

From: Jookia
Subject: Re: Debugging Guix packages?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 15:53:57 +1100

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 05:13:02AM +0100, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 09:55:32PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > > I wonder how this could be implemented, any ideas?
> >
> > Roughly, we could generate a Scheme file containing the list of phases
> > (the generated build script contains them, but it immediately passes
> > them to ‘gnu-build’ or similar), which could be loaded into Guile.  From
> > there we could explicitly manipulate the list of phases and run them.
> >
> > There are complications though, such as the fact that build systems can
> > lack the notion of phases altogether (this is the case of
> > ‘trivial-build-system’, but it may be the only one.)  I wonder if we
> > should move phases from the build side to the host side at some point…
>
> How about extending the -K switch with a build phase option where it
> should stop?
>
> I think the container thing is nice, but not really suitable for
> fixing stuff (as Chris notes, it ends up read-only in the store). I am
> pretty happy with -K.

This might be good enough, but if you change options in the configure phase
you'll probably want to see what's happening in the check phase.

I like the idea of refactoring build scripts in to multiple functions that can
be run in a Guile prompt and have Guix or someone in a Guile prompt use those.

> Pj.
> --

Cheers,
Jookia.