guix-devel

Re: Why do we use ".../share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/"?

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Why do we use ".../share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/"?
Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 22:58:05 +0300

Ludovic Courtès (2016-05-08 19:51 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I should have asked this when emacs-build-system was introduced.  Why
>> does it put emacs packages in sub-directories of
>> "/share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d"?  It looks more natural to me just to
>> use "/share/emacs/site-lisp".
>>
>> I don't see any potential conflicts here: some packages will put their
>> elisp files right in the site-lisp dir (gnu-build-system does it by
>> default), and emacs-build-system can just use
>> "/share/emacs/site-lisp/<package>" sub-directories.
>>
>> "guix.d" seems redundant to me.  What do people think?
>
> I think there was a Good Reason™.  Isn’t it that we wanted to mimic what
> package.el does, while avoiding collisions with package.el-installed
> software?

Yes, the Good Reason was to avoid potential collisions of thousands of
emacs packages.  I probably wasn't clear enough, I just wanted to say
that "guix.d" part of a package file name can be removed.  I suggest
this:

  .../share/emacs/site-lisp/<package>

instead of this (currently used):

  .../share/emacs/site-lisp/guix.d/<package>

I can work on a patch for this change, if it sounds reasonable.

--
Alex