guix-devel

Re: Tracking package submissions with Debbugs

From: Alex Vong
Subject: Re: Tracking package submissions with Debbugs
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2016 08:35:57 +0800

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I suppose it wouldn’t handle patch series very well though, would it?
>> Or people would have to send the “cover letter” of the series first, and
>> then send the rest to address@hidden once a number has been
>> assigned?
>
> Or could we have a bug per module?  Then the whole patch series could be
> sent to the bug id of the module.  But I guess this would make it harder
> to keep track of individual package submissions again, because bug would
> rarely ever be closed when there are lots of patches to the same module.

Yes, I think it will make it harder to keep track of individual
package. Is there a way to configure git-sendmail to do what we want?

Here is a related idea. If we were to send all packaging bug reports to
a single package (e.g. guix-package), then it will make it impossible to
browse from a web browser. The situation is similar to the slowness of
our Packages page[0]. So instead of having a bug per module, should we
have a package per module (e.g. guix-package-emacs, guix-package-maths,
guix-package-shells ...)?

>> What’s unclear to me is how convenient Debbugs is for non-Emacs users:
>> Emacs has M-x debbugs-gnu, which is a significant UI improvement, but
>> how do non-Emacs users deal with Debbugs?
>
> Outside of Emacs I only ever used Debbugs in read-only fashion.  The web
> interface is not very pretty but it’s functional and looks better than
> the default mailman interface.

Yes, it is still email-based. The web interface is read-only, you can
search for bug reports in a package[1]. To reply to it, you send email
to <address@hidden>. For non-emacs users, this means
they have to use email client to communicate and web browser to search /
read bugs.

> ~~ Ricardo

[0]: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/
[1]: