guix-devel

Re: Display diffs between generations.

From: Benz Schenk
Subject: Re: Display diffs between generations.
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 13:13:10 +0200

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 18:01:23 +0200
Roel Janssen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ludovic Courtès writes:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Benz Schenk <address@hidden> skribis:
> >
> >> On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 11:37:00 +0200
> >> Roel Janssen <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >>
> >> I adapted your patch to hopefully implement the desired behaviour, but
> >> it might need some cleaning up as I'm just getting started learning
> >> scheme.
> >
> >>From what I can see that Benz’ patch does indeed work as expected (but
> > really, the example above is a corner case that we shouldn’t worry too
> > much about.)
> >
> > Roel, if that’s fine with you, please commit with proper commit log and
> > acknowledgment.
> >
> > Thanks to both of you.  :-)
>
> Thanks a lot Benz!
>
> There's only one thing:
> Would it make more sense to stick to the chronology of the generations
> (sorting them before displaying them)?

IMO it's useful to see the diffs in reverse when before switching
to some previous generation, although you can easily see the changes
no matter how you order the generations, so I don't really have a strong
opinion either way.

> If you think Benz's patch is good, then I will push that one.  Otherwise
> I'll adapt it to sort the generations.
>
> @Benz, what's the copyright line you want to have in the patch?

I guess
Copyright © 2016 Benz Schenk <address@hidden>

> Kind regards,
> Roel Janssen

Kind regards,
Benz Schenk

PS:

@Roel Janssen, sorry for double-posting I forgot to cc guix-devel

@everyone
on the bright side, I updated the patch to use display-generation
instead of the copy+pasted mess I created in the last patch and added
my copyright lines.

I also realized that with this patch, list-generations with
generations that do not differ, will simply display the generation number
and date like

>Generation 54  Oct 19 2016 13:42:16
>[... <packages>]
>Generation 56  Oct 21 2016 15:12:24
>Generation 57  Oct 23 2016 18:15:03
>[... <package-diff>]

I'm not sure if that might be confusing.