guix-devel

Re: jquery 3.1.1

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: jquery 3.1.1
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 01:04:59 -0500

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 21:48:44 +0100, Catonano wrote:
> Anyway, now I have a COMPLETE graph of the dependencies of jquery 3.1.1
>
> It's made of
> 47311 vertices and
> 324569 edges

lol...

> Anyway, these broken packages pose a challenge to the mission of porting
> Jquery into Guix, in my opinion,

My greater concern is verifying licenses: that'd have to be considered
in the DAG (...I hope it's a DAG; who knows what those node packages
might be doing!) to flag potential problems.  The JS community is pretty
lax on licensing (in both the permissive sense and the I-don't-care
sense); the license might not be correct or might be missing
entirely.  Or might not match what's in the source files.

Verifying that many dependencies is going to be a challenge for an
automated system; we'd want humans to look at many of them too to make
sure things aren't fishy. :x  The problem is that one single dependency
that's mischaracterized as free---even if it's one of the
single-function packages---can destroy an entire project (e.g. jQuery).

For some packages, this task is feasible.

> The code is here
> https://gitlab.com/humanitiesNerd/Culturia

Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this.  I admit that I don't
have the time to read into it much right now, but I'll certainly be
following progress on this list.

> One last fun fact: while I was watching the output flowing in my terminal,
> I saw a package called
>
> "broccoli-funnel"

Ah, they missed a really good logo opportunity!

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer