guix-devel

Re: Guix package incubator (later a channel)

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Guix package incubator (later a channel)
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 05:42:51 +0000

On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 09:44:48PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> Just a reply on the notabug question (I don't have much time otherwise):
> Notabug will eventually move to an instance of pagure.io, you can read
> about this in their own issues where I asked about some question back
> then (no link, sorry .. my name was 'ng0' back on there). Developing
> with pagure might be easier (fedora and surrounding communities)
> compared to the situation they describe in the issue.
> I started packaging pagure for this reason, which is about ~85% done
> (services + pagure itself left to wrap it up ... pagure itself is more
> or less done, just the service are needed. I'm more than happy to pass
> this on (could rebase the pagure patch), as I know I have taken on some
> tasks which would be better handled by different people :)
> That is in case you want to use a GuixSD as a host, otherwise you should
> not have many problems.

That would be a great result :). Also pagure looks very interesting -
simpler than gitlab. I like simple.

I think we should view the incubator as a list of 'throw-away' repo's.
I.e., only the final result matters as and will go into Guix which
means we can start anywhere. If we start on notabug and notabug
migrates, only the better and we can host ourselves when we decide the
process is workable. When we get channels anyone can set up such an
incubator anyway. The incubator is not Guix (tiing).

Pj.