guix-devel

Re: Looking to contribute

From: James Richardson
Subject: Re: Looking to contribute
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 13:41:39 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> Hello. I recently learned about GuixSD, and it seems like a distro
> I would actually _enjoy_ using. Essentially, my questions are:
>
> What is the current state of GuixSD? Is it currently too buggy or
> feature-deficient to use as a day-to-day os?

I use it on my laptop and my wife's laptop. feature-deficient is a
rather subjective term. I have xfce on my wife's laptop. Occasionally
she'll complain about lack of flash or that a website doesn't like
icecat. I have a few boxen that I haven't converted (from Debian) yes as
I rely heavily on lvm and don't want to sort out how to do without
lvm. On those boxen I use guix as a foreign package manager which
actually works out quite well.

> How can I best contribute?

I've found the people on the #guix channel and on this list to be very
helpful. The website has a section on how to contribute. I've started by
just packaging programs that I use that were net yet in Guix. Knowing
guile is not (IHMO) a prerequisite, although willingness to learn
probably is ;).

HTH, James.
--
I prefer encrypted email.
GPG Fingerprint = 8FD2 7619 C19A 2201 CB1D  E131 EA1C F14B D846 7AFB