guix-devel

Re: My experiences with GuixSD

From: Jonathan Brielmaier
Subject: Re: My experiences with GuixSD
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 10:05:50 +0200

Am 11.09.2017 um 01:33 schrieb Mark H Weaver:
Jonathan Brielmaier <address@hidden> writes:

4. Icecat... I had to restart it like every five minutes because it
doesn't show websites. Yes, I disabled all those add-ons (LibreJS etc.).
It was not usable for me, really not.

Could you elaborate more precisely on how IceCat misbehaved?  I've been
using IceCat as my primary web browser for a couple of years now, and
have found it to work very well.  I've not heard other GuixSD users
reporting problems like this.

As I rebooted often I restarted IceCat quite often and about one in two it doesn't show (maybe load) the websites. So I gave in the url, hit enter but there was nothing beside a white page (just white). I disabled all add-ons. If I remember correct there where websites who worked, gnu.org definitively doesn't work.

And without all those FOSS add-ons on addons.mozilla.org
Icecat/Firefox is bad.

It is true that addons.mozilla.org is not the default site that is
visited from within the "Get Add-ons" portion of the built-in
"about:addons" page.  However, as far as I know, you should be able to
manually visit addons.mozilla.org and install the add-ons there.  Did
you try that?

I tried installing from addons.mozilla.org but without success. There was an error message.