guix-devel

Re: Thunderbird

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: Thunderbird
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 13:14:44 +0200

Arun Isaac transcribed 0.4K bytes:

> > I was wondering if anyone would work on Astroid mail
> > https://astroidmail.github.io/
> >
> > It seems simpler to package than Thunderbird and it could be extremely
> > useful in the short/medium term
>
> Astroid requires external programs like mpop or offlineimap to fetch
> mail. So it cannot quite replace Thunderbird for the casual mail
> user. Perhaps, claws-mail or blasa are better alternatives. Both
> claws-mail and balsa are already packaged for Guix.

My only usecase for Thunderbird is Enigmail and its coming GNUnet integration
done in corporation of pEp (and GNUnet) and the Enigmail team.

ok

Personal opinion: Thunderbird is really terrible and I have my reasons
why I stopped using it so long ago I stopped counting or caring for its
existence (must've been around '99 or '00 maybe...).

right

Nevertheless it is a mandatory tool for some people who can't switch
easily and I doubt anyone will embrace the task of getting Thunderbird
into Guix with joy.

right

So far I'm hitting the first drömpels (road bumpers) in the build process
with a reference within Thunderbird.

Wrt the earlier emails: yes, my intention (also for Icecat/Firefox) is to
provide Addons via Guix to get rid of yet another point of authority
(Mozilla Appstore). It is my understanding that at least a while back
someone was already looking into this and at least the idea was accepted
and welcomed.

it s an exciting view of the future, yes.

Alternatives exist, yep. But for me it's no only this or only that
application question. It's about dynamic choice.

Of course you have your motivation

My fear is that you are somewhat underestimating the effort that such an endeavour entails.

I might be wrong, of course.
Anyway, I was just requesting an effort on Androidmail.
It might be you, Arun or anyone else ;-)

My case for Androidmail is that it could be one of the steps (for me) in the process of abandoning Gmail.

Again: I might be wrong !

Thanks for engaging ;-)