guix-devel

Re: The usability of Guix configurations

From: julien lepiller
Subject: Re: The usability of Guix configurations
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 15:52:08 +0100

Le 2017-11-07 15:11, myglc2 a écrit :
On 11/07/2017 at 14:13 julien lepiller writes:

This new version outputs something like this :

guix system: error: failed to load 'vm-image.tmpl':
vm-image.tmpl:6:0: vm-image.tmpl:6:0: Package module "abc" does not
exist.
Check the "use-package-modules" line in your configuration.

Thanks Julien, I tried the patch and it works for me. I think it is a
great improvement.

Small suggestion: is it feasible for the last line to read:

Please add a module containing "abc" to the "use-package-modules" line
in your configuration.

Wouldn't that be confusing though?

Maybe you're confused because modules have the same name as some packages, but there is no relation between a package name and its module in general. In (use-package-modules abc), abc refers to a file named 'gnu/packages/abc.go'
and the error happens when this file doesn't exist.

Maybe that last line could be a hint as to how to find the correct module, though,
such as:

guix system: error: failed to load 'vm-image.tmpl':
vm-image.tmpl:6:0: vm-image.tmpl:6:0: Package module "abc" does not exist.
Check the "use-package-modules" line in your configuration.
Hint: You may use `guix package -s foo` to search for foo's location.
Hint: If you get the line "location: gnu/packages/ssh.scm:174:2",
Hint: you want to add ssh in use-package-modules.

And similarly with services:

guix system: error: failed to load 'vm-image.tmpl':
vm-image.tmpl:7:0: vm-image.tmpl:7:0: Service module "abc" does not exist.
Check the "use-service-modules" line in your configuration.
Hint: You may use `guix system search foo` to search for foo's location.
Hint: If you get the line "location: gnu/services/ssh.scm:188:2",
Hint: you want to add ssh in use-service-modules.

Maybe that's too much?

TIA - George